Friday, November 30, 2007

How to have a stress-free holidays with your (not) so nice in-laws

Holidays mean gathering, family, eating...all that good stuff but sometimes it can become a little harsh especially having to deal with your not so nice in-laws.
These tips will show you how to avoid the stress of the holidays dealing with your in-laws:
1. Pick how many days you are willing to have your in-laws at your house. The less days they spend in your house, the better.
2. Travel during the off-peak times to avoid traffic jams and feeling short on time. That creates tension, bad mood in everyone. Consider spending Christmas together the day after if that helps reduce the tension of off-peak imes travelling.
3. Try to solve any trouble or misunderstandings before meeting up with the in-laws. That will help reduce the tension and set a more tolerant environment.
4. Don't let your in-laws make the rules in your house or how your relationship with your mate should be or how you should discipline your children. If spanking the children is unacceptable, let them know that it's not part of your rules to discipline. Be the one that gives the kids structure and fix their behavior.
5. Try to compromise with your in-laws, let them do certain things how they want it. If they have plans they want to add for the holidays gatherings, be understanding. That shows them you care about their opinion and you respect them.

www.voilastation.com/news/read/9/index.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having in-laws at my house during the holidays is always a hassle. I hope that helps reduce the stress of having them!!!

Anonymous said...

You know what, I never have my in-laws at my house. For me, it's the best way not to get stressed. And my wife agrees with me. But that also means that my parents never come to my house either. That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We usually go to my in-laws on Christmas day to exchange gifts and it's wonderful to have everybody there.